Welcome to the Happily Ever After Unpublished Contest
2017 Happily Ever After (HEA) Contest Rules
All entries must fit within the definition of Romance as established by RWA: https://www.rwa.org/Romance
Contemporary Romance. Novels set from 1950 to the present that focus primarily on the romantic relationship.
Erotic Romance. Novels in which strong, often explicit, sexual interaction is an inherent part of the love story, character growth and relationship development and could not be removed without damaging the storyline. These novels may contain elements of other romance subgenres (such as paranormal, historical, etc.).
Historical Romance. Novels set prior to 1950 that focus primarily on the romantic relationship.
Paranormal Romance. Novels in which fantasy worlds or paranormal or science fiction elements are an integral part of the plot.
Romance Novella. Novellas are between 20,000 and 40,000 words.
Romance With Religious or Spiritual Elements. Novels in which religious or spiritual beliefs are an inherent part of the love story, character growth and relationship development and could not be removed without damaging the storyline. These novels may be set in the context of any religious or spiritual belief system of any culture.
Romantic Suspense. Novels in which suspense, mystery, or thriller elements constitute an integral part of the plot.
Young Adult Romance. Novels in which young adult life is an integral part of the plot.
Entry Rules and Information
- All entries must be from unpublished manuscripts.
- Authors may be either published or unpublished, but the manuscript itself cannot have been published previously.
- An entry file consists of the final 10,000 words of the novel/novella or the final 3 chapters (not to exceed 10,000 words) of the original manuscript.
- All entries must be submitted electronically. No print entries will be accepted. Files must be non-DRM .pdf format, and it is the contestant’s responsibility to make sure that the file can be opened and read.
- Entry fees are $25 for the first entry, $20 for the second entry, and $15 for each additional entry. CRW member entry fees are $20 for the first entry, $15 for the second entry, and $10 for each additional entry.
- An official entry consists of a completed and signed entry form, the appropriate entry fee, a one-page synopsis and the entry file. An entry will not be processed until all parts have been completed. Entry forms and payments are submitted via this [LINK] on the RWA website. Once your entry form and fee(s) are processed, you will be contacted with information about submitting your contest files.
- Entry files and synopses must be submitted anonymously. The file names should include the title of the book only, using the format BookTitle2017.pdf. No author identifying information should be included in the files themselves. Please check your metadata.
- Titles may be entered into one category only.
- Authors may enter multiple titles, as long as each title meets the entry qualifications. Each additional entry must include the signed entry form, the appropriate fee, the one-page synopsis, and the entry file.
- A minimum of 5 entries must be received for a category to be viable. If a category is not viable, the coordinators will contact the entrants to see if they would like to move their entries into another category or receive a refund of their entry fees.
- As part of the HEA score sheet judges are allowed to not finish and score an entry. If this happens, they will mark the score sheet WNR (Will Not Read). If an entry receives a single DNR, the coordinator will attempt to assign it to another judge to read and score. If an entry receives two WNRs, the contestant will be offered the choice of selecting another category for her entry or withdrawing from the contest and receiving a full refund.
- The deadline for HEA entries to be received is October 31st .
- Awards for the 2017 HEA are TBD.
- Winners will be announced at the May Colorado Romance Writers Meeting Special Event, all CRW and Non-CRW members welcome.
If you cannot access the form or have any questions, contact the contest administrator here. If you do not have a Google account in order to upload content, email document after form has been submitted to email@example.com.
1.Click Register for this event
2.Price for first entry will be listed. 3. click Ok
4.Enter or update information on Registration form. Enter First Entry Title
5.If paying for Second Entry, click Add to the left of Second Entry. Enter Second Entry Title
6.If paying for Additional Entries, click Add to the left of Additional Entry. Enter Additional Entry Title. (Enter as many Additional Titles as needed)